Expected weather: Showers 19°C
Expected track rating: GOOD4
Rail position: 18m; cutaway in the straight
Race 1 - 12:22pm Salinger Handicap (1400 Metres) – Full Field
OVERVIEW: A small field of seven runners start things off but all eyes will be on the filly in the cerise and white silks, Enticing Star. There won’t be a heck of a lot of speed but expect Cloak And Dagger, Mrs Brown’s Boy and Boxonlucy to all be prominent in running. Expect the hot favourite to settle three pairs back.
6. ENTICING STAR could not have been more impressive on debut last start when blitzing a moderate maiden field at Pinjarra over 1200m to win by 4.5 lengths eased down. The daughter of Testa Rossa is closely related to reigning Perth Cup winner Star Exhibit as well as up-and-coming Natasha Stakes winner Royal Star.
4. MRS BROWN'S BOY shoots into contention with her form being franked by A Knight Of Pro on the weekend. Mrs Brown’s Boy beat A Knight Of Pro two starts ago and the latter came out on Saturday 15 July at Belmont and beat High Conviction and Enchanted Dream. Hard to ignore.
1. RYAMAR ran on strongly last start in the soft conditions and hit the line strongly when fourth behind Sunset Pete. With Kate Witten’s 3kg claim and barrier two, the gelding by Henny Hughes can run top three.
2. SONDHEIM won nicely last start at Northam and found the line well in 1:23.91, faster than the other 1400m race which was only a maiden event though. He can improve.
SUGGESTED SELECTIONS: 6-4-1-2
SUGGESTED BET: 6. Enticing Star – WIN
Race 2 - 12:57pm King's Troop At Taunton Vale Maiden (1400 Metres) – Full Field
OVERVIEW: There appears to be two key chances in the way of three-year-old filly Rogan Scent and two-year-old gelding Noir De Rue. Speed looks to come from Little Red Roman. Rogan Scent led last start but they might try to get cover with her this time.
11. NOIR DE RUE ran on impressively last start behind Salubrious and Ocean Jewel when fifth and only beaten 0.75 lengths. Racing against the older horses will be a test but he gets a nice weight relief.
8. ROGAN SCENT led last start and was just grabbed late in testing conditions. Dan Staeck went easy on her in the last little bit but expect her to be fitter this time in and be right in contention.
5. EXPRESS FLIRT found the line exceptionally well on debut when running on from last to finish fourth behind Guns Of Navarone at Pinjarra and was only beaten by two lengths. He should hit the line strongly from back in the field.
7. OREGON BRONZE was sound last start when first up at Belmont over 1000m. Out to 1400m should suit the daughter of Rogano. Expect Skye Bogenhuber to ride positively from barrier two.
SUGGESTED SELECTIONS: 11-8-5-7
SUGGESTED BET: 11. Noir De Rue – WIN
Race 3 - 1:34pm Budget Car & Truck Rental Plate (1700 Metres) – Full Field
OVERVIEW: In what is a race for two-year-olds looking to get over the extended journey, there is no speed expected with no natural leaders taking part. Dazzling Poet or Uncle Con may be the ones left in front to make the speed. First starter Bronze Wing is an interesting acceptor as the son of Rogano steps out over 1700m first up.
2. ROJO CALOR was a nice winner last start over 1600m at Northam against the older horses in an all age maiden. Out to 1700m will suit the son of Red Hot Choice and there is no doubt that Justin Warwick will have him fit.
1. HONORFIC was disappointing last start when stepping up to Saturday grade. It was his third run in a row over 1400m so he may well be screaming out for the 1700m which he gets here.
4. UNCLE CON was superb first up when second behind Burning Pride. He showed an excellent late burst along the inside under Matthieu Autier but Patrick Carbery takes over riding duties here. Drawn in three, the son of Econsul can get a soft lead in front or can take a sit from the advantageous draw.
6. LUCKY ESCAPE pulled in the run last start and struggled to settle. He still hit the line nicely and may improve out in distance. The well-bred galloper should go well with Jarrad Noske back on after he rode the son of Star Witness in the trial prior to the beginning of this preparation.
SUGGESTED SELECTIONS: 10-4-2-1
SUGGESTED BET: 2. Rojo Calor – WIN
Race 4 - 2:12pm Get The Tabtouch Plate (1300 Metres) – Full Field
OVERVIEW: Half of the field will see the starter under race conditions for the first time in their respective careers. Last start winner Burning Pride draws more favourably here so expect William Pike to take a sit on her. The Simon Miller-trained Let Me Live could be the galloper to roll forward but, without much form, it is hard to put together a speed map.
2. TURBO POWER has form behind Achernar Star, Lucy Mae and Debellatio which reads pretty well for moderate winter Wednesday two-year-old race. He should be hard to beat from barrier two.
1. BURNING PRIDE was tough last start when leading all-the-way over 1300m from barrier 12 under William Pike. Pike retains the ride and will have options from barrier three. Expect the gun hoop to take a sit and try to sprint in the straight.
12. BEAUTIFUL MIND is a first starter by dual Cox Plate hero So You Think and is out of Group One Australasian Oaks winner Small Minds. The filly was a $250,000 yearling purchase and has trialled well leading into the race. She will get better over further but expect her to hit the line strongly.
11. AFLICA'S GIRL trialled well recently under Skye Bogenhuber and she keeps the ride for raceday. The daughter of War Chant showed enough to suggest that she can run well on debut.
SUGGESTED SELECTIONS: 2-1-12-11
SUGGESTED BET: 12. Beautiful Mind – EACH WAY
Race 5 - 2:47pm Kirin Megumi Handicap (1700 Metres) – Full Field
OVERVIEW: Four last-start maiden winners take their place at the top of the race list and they look to be the four leading hopes on paper. It is hard to find a leader on paper but potentially Stoicism could take up the running as their does not appear to be any obvious speed.
3. KING OF HOLLYWOOD was given a plum ride to win last start by William Pike and duly saluted as favourite at Pinjarra over 1500m. Pike stays on and the gelding should get another nice run in transit from barrier four.
4. OUTER DETENTION was another impressive last-start winner when coming from the second half of the field at Pinjarra over 1600m to finish over the top of his rivals. Clint Johnston-Porter’s 1.5kg claim is all important here.
2. JUST ELATED won well last start in wet conditions when chasing down Rogan Scent over 1300m. The step up to 1700m shouldn’t be an issue as the galloper is now fifth up this preparation. The son of Fath should go well and will appreciate the sting out of the track if the rain comes.
9. HARLEM MOON is a roughie at odds if the rain comes as she gets through the soft going very well.
SUGGESTED SELECTIONS: 3-4-2-9
SUGGESTED BET: 9. Harlem Moon – PLACE
Race 6 - 3:25pm David Grays Aglink Handicap (1200 Metres) – Full Field
OVERVIEW: In what is a wide open race with horses bringing moderate form lines to the table, anyone can win. Apart from last-start winner Gunnago, the average beaten margin of the nine runners from their last starts is 8.4 lengths. Invincible Warrior will go forward and should set a reasonable tempo out in front.
1. TIGER RED comes into the race after a disappointing effort last start at Kalgoorlie but did have excuses after being caught wide at the rear of the field. He didn’t appear to settle on that occasion under apprentice Maddison Brown so senior rider Skye Bogenhuber takes over after riding the galloper two starts ago into third. The gelding can bowl along in front and, if the rain comes, he will be right in this.
6. INVINCIBLE WARRIOR will burn along out in front and should be hard to catch like More Aces and Baraki Beats were on the weekend for trainer Jim Taylor. Expect a forward effort.
3. JAZARI returns as a gelding after showing good promise as two-year-old and earlier this season. The recent trial was sound and he will run through the line.
4. SUPPOSITION is usually a first up specialist and ran well for second last start when fresh. Three weeks between runs should hopefully see him fresh enough to run well.
SUGGESTED SELECTIONS: 1-6-3-4
SUGGESTED BET: 1. Tiger Red – EACH WAY
Race 7 - 4:05pm Morley Growers Market Handicap (1700 Metres) – Full Field
OVERVIEW: Three last-start placegetters in Zuboyne, Middle Earth and Cambo take their place in the race along with last-start winner Proclamation. Expect the 12-year-old Zuboyne to roll forward with Cambo. The speed will be only moderate.
8. MIDDLE EARTH quite simply appears to be a horse on the up after running third last start in Saturday grade behind Election. Despite barrier 12, he looks the one to beat.
14. PROCLAMATION was a last start winner which just got the bob in right on the line. Ryan Hill stays on and he knows how to deal with the quirky galloper.
4. BACK TO A WALK drops back to Wednesday grade and has been racing in even form this preparation. Barrier three will help the son of Artie Schiller get the softest run in transit possible to save up a big burst at the end.
12. PRINCESS JASMAN is second up with William Pike on after having excuses first up over the same trip of 1700m. She will be running on strongly.
SUGGESTED SELECTIONS: 8-14-4-12
SUGGESTED BET: 8. Middle Earth – WIN
Race 8 - 4:45pm Perth Racing Club Membership Handicap (1400 Metres) – Full Field
OVERVIEW: Five three-year-olds line up in the class three event and two of them are last-start class one winners in Nightwatchman and Double Digit. Nightwatchman has been known to push forward in the past but came from the back half of the field to win last start so they may elect to ride with cover. Cool Knight and All Too Much look to be the front-runners.
8. REGAL CLASS had no luck first up when hampered and caught behind Enzo’s Best on the turn but was bitterly disappointing last start behind Sunset Pete. She has ability but this is her last chance to show it.
4. BLACK FREDA hit the line strongly last time in behind Gomer Wipple which has since run well twice in Saturday grade. The lightly-raced five-year-old will hitting the line strongly again.
1. NIGHTWATCHMAN is on the seven-day back-up after winning in class one grade. Kate Witten’s 3kg claim will help and the gelding will get every possible chance from barrier three.
3. ALL TOO MUCH will be on the speed and should be fit enough to go close to winning.
SUGGESTED SELECTIONS: 8-4-1-3
SUGGESTED BET: 8. Regal Class – WIN
HAVING A BET?
BEST BET: Race 7 – 8. Middle Earth
BEST VALUE: Race 6 – 1. Tiger Red
Click here for the latest TABtouch betting markets.
Please remember to always gamble responsibly.