Expected weather: Shower or two 14°C
Expected track rating: GOOD4
Rail position: 18m; cutaway in the straight
Race 1 - 12:40pm Get The Tabtouch Maiden (1200 Metres) – Full Field
OVERVIEW: Two last start second placegetters in Deep Cover and Miss Swindle feature prominently in betting but it is a tough race to commence proceedings. The speed map is a hard one to decipher as many will want to settle prominently to avoid traffic jams as can happen in these big maiden fields.
11. MISS SWINDLE is a nippy type which is listed to jump from barrier 14. She will jump and run and is likely to settle in the first four in running. After two nice runner-up efforts behind La Bionda and West Fifty Fourth respectively, the daughter of Murtajill has genuine claims.
14. MAIWALD is first up after having trialled well recently at Lark Hill on July 3 over 950m. The daughter of Poet’s Voice won the jump out and clocked a swift time of 57.84 on a soft rated track. One to watch at big odds.
7. HAPPY SANDAY is a first starter by Rogano which trialled well recently at Belmont over 1000m on June 26. The trial from a week prior at Lark Hill over 950m was excellent when running second and clocking a sharp time of 57.12 seconds. The blinkers go on for raceday and he should be prominent in running after jumping form the wide draw.
9. BURNING MAGIC is a 14 start maiden which has earned over $35,000 in prize money. Those earnings suggest that she has raced in superior company for the majority of her career. Despite being beaten last start in equal grade after sitting three-wide without cover, she can go a few lengths better and win this time in.
SUGGESTED SELECTIONS: 11-14-7-9
SUGGESTED BET: 14. Maiwald – PLACE
Race 2 - 1:20pm Awesome Rock Plate (1000 Metres) – Full Field
OVERVIEW: A field of 14 and a half of them are first starters. Of the raced brigade, expect tempo from Upward Others, Portalian, Danes Maree, Caress Your Soul and Dashing Affair with speed coming thick and fast over the 1000m dash.
3. ARCADIA PRINCE is a superbly bred first starter which will carry the cerise and white of Bob and Sandra Peters. The gelding is a son of two-year-old Triple Crown winner Pierro and is a half-brother to last year’s WATC Derby winner Arcadia Dream. His recent trial over 1000m at Belmont on June 26 was outstanding when rounding up the field effortlessly from last. The juvenile could be the real deal.
13. FINE SCENT is another regally bred first starter but, this time, from the all-conquering two-year-old producing stable of Simon Miller. A $210,000 yearling purchase from the 2016 Gold Coast Magic Millions Yearling Sale, the filly is by Black Caviar’s half-brother All Too Hard and is a half-sister to Group One Golden Slipper winner Polar Success. She rode the speed in a recent trial over 950m at Lark Hill before responding nicely to Aaron Mitchell’s urgings in the straight. She will be running on strongly.
6. INFILTRATOR is yet another well-bred first starter. This time by Frost Giant, the $50,000 yearling purchase from Yarradale Stud is a half-brother to Group One Manawatu Sires Produce Stakes winner Choice Bro as well as Speedy Ladidi, which won as a two-year-old for Trevor Andrews who also trains this gelding. His recent trial at Belmont over 1000m on June 26 was excellent when bouncing out nicely before working home well for second.
11. COOL SERENITY is by the same sire a Black Caviar, Bel Esprit, and is a paternal granddaughter of four-time Group One winner Mannerism. Her recent trial was excellent with the blinkers on at Lark Hill over 950m. She plugged away to the line for fourth, two lengths behind Fair Scent and Ritualistic, but there was a lot to like about the way she raced amongst other horses which isn’t always the case with inexperienced gallopers. She looks a professional type.
SUGGESTED SELECTIONS: 3-13-6-11
SUGGESTED BET: 13. Fine Scent – EACH WAY
Race 3 - 1:55pm Carbine Club Of Wa Handicap (1000 Metres) – Full Field
OVERVIEW: The two at the top of the ratings drop to Wednesday grade and appear to be right in this. Veuve De Vega is likely to take up the running with Zeinite to sit outside of him, so tempo may be lacking.
2. FLYTEGO was only fair last start when well beaten in soft conditions by Galaxy Star. Runs prior in the preparation behind State Solicitor and Just Act Natural are top form lines. A reproduction of either of those runs should see him winning this.
6. SOVEREIGN HALL was desperately unlucky when first up last start behind Zeinite. The son of Universal Ruler flew home late and looked as though he was going to win until he shifted in slightly in the closing stages and got checked. This is winnable.
1. VEUVE DE VEGA is yet to run top three when first up so forgive last start when fresh and fading in the straight after leading . The drop in grade looks to suit and he can lead or box-seat from the inside draw.
8. TWO FOR TWENTY TWO trialled well recently behind Galaxy Star and High Conviction (both of which have since come out and won). He was slow away in the trial and just did his own thing out the back. He will improve on raceday and with William Pike on his back.
SUGGESTED SELECTIONS: 2-6-1-8
SUGGESTED BET: 3. Flytego – EACH WAY
Race 4 - 2:34pm Carbine Club Life Members Handicap (1000 Metres) – Full Field
OVERVIEW: Six of the 10 runners make their way into the race first up and Sir Snugalot, Akiko and Diamond Princess look to be the pacesetters.
9. CAPE LADY is now with Geoff Durrant and Jason Miller after winning her maiden on debut in October 2016 with Simon Miller. The recent trial was sound when last on June 19 over 950m at Lark Hill. The blinkers were not on in the trial and are now applied for raceday. She will be hard to beat.
2. IMPERIAL VENUS had no luck last start when caught in no man’s land for the majority of the 1000m trip. Matthieu Autier returns after riding him to win on debut two starts ago. He will be finishing off strongly.
8. BELLA'S KEEPER broke her maiden status two starts ago at Northam over 1000m before coming to town and running a nice fourth behind Belter at Belmont over 1000m. Fiona Bell takes over riding duties and claims the filly down to 53kg which will suit.
7. FAERIE WHISPER is an eight-start class one galloper which may have needed the run first up in tougher grade behind Karlakee Miss. The losing margin of eight lengths looks worse than it actually was with Brad Parnham going easy on the filly late after realising he was not in winning contention. The drop in class suits.
SUGGESTED SELECTIONS: 9-2-8-7
SUGGESTED BET: 2. Imperial Venus – PLACE
Race 5 - 3:10pm Carbine Club President Leith Putland Handicap (1000 Metres) – Full Field
OVERVIEW: Chin Strap is the only last start winner in the field and looks as though he will step through the grades quickly and be back in Saturday class soon. The last time Ominous Warning led, he won and he sat close in his recent trial which may mean he could push forward from barrier nine here. Other potential speed may come from The Dankster, Illusion Of Light and Heez Our Wally should see the race run at a genuine tempo with many likely to jostle for forward positions.
5. CHIN STRAP looks to get the plum run in the race from barrier one and should come along the cutaway in the straight to win easily. Looks one of the better bets on the card.
2. VALDERI VALDERA was slightly disappointing first up when beaten into the placings as $3.40 favourite. Expect her to be coming home strongly from back in the field as her second up record is flawless.
3. ANOTHER VISION found the line very strongly in her recent trial at Lark Hill over 950m. She has won first up before and only has to carry 53.5kg with Fiona Bell’s claim. The daughter of Husson Lightning should go well from the soft draw.
1. QUALITY FAIR possesses good ability as shown when running within three lengths of Meteoroid three starts ago and within four lengths of My Greek Boy in the Fitzpatrick Plate. Down to 1000m suits with the 3kg claimer on.
SUGGESTED SELECTIONS: 5-2-3-1
SUGGESTED BET: 5. Chin Strap – WIN
Race 6 - 3:45pm Carbine Club Perth Racing Handicap (2100 Metres) – Full Field
OVERVIEW: Last start winner Danehills Daughter leads TABtouch betting markets from top weight and other last start winner Dagorlad. Little Miss Mak, Hollywood Rock and Pigeon Post look to be the speed runners but don’t be surprised to see Saxophonist push up from the inside draw to lead and turn the race into a staying test.
1. DAGORLAD is an honest son of Blackfriars an steps out over 2000m for the first time this preparation after winning last start over 1700m. The way he attacked the line from the rear of the field last start suggests that 2100m of this race will suit.
9. SCORELINE surprised two starts ago when sixth, beaten 2.5 lengths, at $151 behind Jetoomy which has since come out and won again. Last start was honest behind Dagorlad but can improve further out to 2100m.
4. DANEHILLS DAUGHTER won well last start when swooping home from midfield to win effortlessly by over a length. Another patient ride from Peter Knuckey is expected which should see her in the finish.
10. PIGEON POST is likely to be rolling along near the speed and could stick on to finish in the top four.
SUGGESTED SELECTIONS: 1-9-4-10
SUGGESTED BET: 9. Scoreline – PLACE
Race 7 - 4:20pm Carbine Club Congress 2017 - Png Handicap (1400 Metres) – Full Field
OVERVIEW: Another even race with two last start winners coming from maiden grade and four last start placegetters coming from class ones. Tempo in the race looks to come from Persona, Talita, Jupiter Calling and potentially Nightwatchman. Something Big races without the blinkers so they could look to settle him at the back of the field.
4. THROUGH THE GLASS was just grabbed late last start by Red Noire at Pinjarra over 1300m. Pike can settle behind the leader and use the cutaway in the straight with the assistance of barrier one.
7. PERSONA comes out of the same race as Red Noire and Through The Glass and worked to the line well under Jarrad Noske for third. Noske stays on which suggests that the mare is going well.
2. JUPITER CALLING led all of the way last start under apprentice Maddison Brown and she gets another go on the son of Rothesay, this time in town. Expect Brown to push forward from the good barrier and be up there in running.
9. OORAH surprised first up when hitting the line well behind Stockyard Gossip for second on a soft track at Northam. The four-year-old daughter of War Chant will be fit and has won second up before from only the one attempt.
SUGGESTED SELECTIONS: 4-7-2-9
SUGGESTED BET: 4. Through The Glass – WIN
Race 8 - 4:57pm Carbine Club Wa Members Handicap (1300 Metres) – Full Field
OVERVIEW: An open race to finish the day at Belmont. Expect All Too Much and Halldora to settle one-two in running and Pinsson to also push forward after he ran a nice race from on the speed last start. The tempo appears as though it will be genuine.
8. VENUS EBONY looks to get into a beautiful spot from barrier seven for William Pike and Glenn McTaggart. The daughter of Demerit ran on superbly well last start behind Detango and should have improved from that effort.
7. STOCKYARD GOSSIP will also get a nice run in transit for Jarrad Noske from barrier four. The filly’s recent form is worth following after trying her luck two starts ago in Saturday three-year-old grade when not disgraced behind Show Honey. Looks to be an improver.
2. ALL TOO MUCH should be fit third up after two reasonable runs at 1700m and 1400m respectively. Expect Peter Knuckey to run them along from barrier one and turn it into a solidly run 1300m race.
3. HALLDORA has drawn perfectly in barrier three and enjoys racing on the speed. Clint Johnston-Porter claims 1.5kg so the filly only has to carry 56kg. She got too far back last start and was unlucky in the concluding stages two starts ago. She will go close.
SUGGESTED SELECTIONS: 8-7-2-3
SUGGESTED BET: 7. Stockyard Gossip – EACH WAY
HAVING A BET?
BEST BET: Race 5 – 5. Chin Strap
BEST VALUE: Race 8 – 7. Stockyard Gossip
Click here for the latest TABtouch betting markets.
Please remember to always gamble responsibly.