Expected weather: Shower or two 18°C
Expected track rating: GOOD4 - SOFT5
Rail position: Inside
Race 1 - 12:36PM STREAKY BACON PLATE (1000 METRES) – FULL FIELD
2. SALUBRIOUS trialled like a bullet on Monday 8 May at Lark Hill under Jerry Noske. Those bright red blinkers seem to have switched the son of Wanted right on. The youngster broke 57 seconds over 950m which some older horses struggle to do. If he brings the trial performance to raceday, Salubrious will be hard to beat.
1. LOB CITY is a Simon Miller-trained two-year-old and they always warrant respect. Lob City is the only winner of the field and showed good race sense when winning on debut back on Saturday 10 December. The daughter of Vital Equine was only fair in the recent trial but did cover a lot of ground. expect her to improve and run well.
4. POND ZERO trialled well when clocking a fast time of 61.00 seconds over 1000m at Belmont on Monday 15 May. The quick back-up will be a test but the trial effort warrants respect. Nick Cox has trained two two-year-old winners this season.
9. FROSTY BAY gets a run after missing out as an emergency on Wednesday 17 May. Her trials have been flawless and she boasts race experience behind Keeper Keen – a distinct advantage when analysed against the unraced brigade.
SUGGESTED SELECTIONS: 2-1-4-9
SUGGESTED BET: 2. Salubrious – WIN
Race 2 - 1:16PM CABANOSSI HANDICAP (1000 METRES) – FULL FIELD
6. MANTIME has had nearly two months away from the races after winning a maiden at Bunbury over 1200m. Connections decided to adopt positive tactics on that occasion but he is versatile and can also take a sit. The maiden win was on a soft track also which suggests that he will be prepared for what could be a surface with give on Saturday.
2. KARLAKEE MISS has a couple of wonderful assets which she can put to use here. Early speed is one and settling in the run is the others. She can lead this field and slip away in the straight with Clint Johnston-Porter claiming 1.5kg.
1. DAINTY TESS is as tough as old boots. She draws poorly here but this is the easiest three-year-old field she has met in a long time. In-form apprentice Kate Witten should be able to sit on the speed and, without a doubt, the filly will fight to the line. An owner's dream.
5. INVINCIBLE WARRIOR returns after a long break which included an operation to remove bone chips in his knees. There was a lot to like about his maiden win back in September last year. The son of outstanding stallion I Am Invincible will start at double figure odds and is worth an each-way play.
SUGGESTED SELECTIONS: 6-2-1-5
SUGGESTED BET: 6. Mantime – WIN
Race 3 - 1:55PM TRIPLE SMOKED HAM HANDICAP (1000 METRES) – FULL FIELD
1. DELICATE MISS finds herself in a race where there is no Caipirinha in sight. She will have to carry extra weight but expect her to lead comfortably and be the one to catch. She has won on the quick one-week back-up before and she can certainly run the time required to win.
6. TENTERDEN is another fast 1000m horse. His last run was only two weeks ago which is a significant factor as his previous runs were broken up by four, three, three and three-week breaks. He should be right up to the mark for this.
2. SPIN DA WHEELS has an excellent record over 1000m and appreciates the sting out of the track, as his record suggests. The last start win in a weak Albany race may have given him the confidence to proceed and win more races in his career.
3. MR MOTOWN has proven in the past that he can handle the quick back-up. With the 2kg claimer on, he looks to get the right run in the race from barrier five, after being trapped wide last start from barrier seven.
SUGGESTED SELECTIONS: 1-6-2-3
SUGGESTED BET: 1. Delicate Miss – WIN
Race 4 - 2:32PM ITALO-AUSTRALIAN WELFARE & CULTURAL CENTRE HCP (1200 METRES) – FULL FIELD
12. RAGNAR'S SAGA is now in the care of Grant and Alana Williams after only facing the starter (on raceday) twice in his four-year-old life. The recent trial when winning, and running 57.03, was effortless and sharp. Don't be surprised to see the son of Lonhro go through his grades swiftly this preparation.
3. TRAVELLIN' gets apprentice Randy Tan on his back again after three placings in a row. The seven-day back-up won't be an issue as the gelding has been successful previously when on the one-week back-up. He will settle outside of the leader and give a good kick in the straight.
2. METEOROID trialled only fairly leading up to this first up assignment after shying at an inside run without the blinkers in the trial. But the blinkers go back on for raceday and she trialled only fairly at the beginning of last preparation (also without the blinkers) before coming out and winning first up with the blinkers on. It’s a proven formula and have to respect here.
8. CAPTIVATED POINT’s three starts this preparation have all been successful. He races well on the speed and has won previously in the soft, all of which will help him on Saturday. McGruddy stays on despite the wide barrier.
SUGGESTED SELECTIONS: 12-3-2-8
SUGGESTED BET: 12. Ragnar’s Saga – WIN
Race 5 - 3:08PM JOHN "JJ" MILLER HALL OF FAME INDUCTEE HANDICAP (2100 METRES) – FULL FIELD
6. WAR KSAR looks to get the run of the race just behind the leaders. He will have a head start on key rival Couleur Bizarre which could see him shoot clear in the straight. His soft track record of seven starts for three wins and three placings makes him an attractive betting prospect.
2. COULEUR BIZARRE has won his last three starts - all very impressively. He draws barrier 12 but that shouldn’t be an issue as Dan Staeck will get rolling from around the 600m mark to put the gelding into the race. He's fit and ready to run well again.
8. SAKER has placed twice in the soft from three attempts. He is by Commands and the breed are known to handle the soft going. He is sixth up this preparation and will appreciate the step up to the staying trip for the first time this campaign.
4. VERDELLO BLUE has shown excellent signs this preparation and has run well at unsuitable distances. Out to the 2100m is a big positive and he will run them along out in front. A definite top four chance.
SUGGESTED SELECTIONS: 6-2-8-4
SUGGESTED BET: 6. War Ksar – EACH WAY
Race 6 - 3:44PM LEE-STEERE FAMILY HALL OF FAME INDUCTEE HANDICAP (1200 METRES) – FULL FIELD
7. BLACK DYNAMITE returns for new trainer Kevin Anderson. The son of Alfred Nobel showed serious ability in the early part of his career and has the runs on the board over 1000m, as a three-year-old. The recent trials were very good behind Madassa and Scales Of Justice. Blinkers go on for the first time in his career and he has won on the soft twice before. A great each-way bet.
3. PROFIT STREET won eye-catchingly first up before running another good race last start. He looks to have taken a step to the next level this preparation and will be finishing off strongly once again.
1. STOCKS has won first up before and holds an outstanding record in the soft going. He's definitely looking for a mile but don’t be surprised to see this Listed winner run well.
8. LET IT SLIP is a class mare which rarely puts in a poor performance. The form guide says she ran ninth of 11 at her previous start but she was only beaten under two lengths. The senior rider takes over which is advantageous.
SUGGESTED SELECTIONS: 7-3-1-8
SUGGESTED BET: 7. Black Dynamite – EACH WAY
Race 7 - 4:19PM D'ORSOGNA-ROMA CUP (1200 METRES) – FULL FIELD
3. ROCK MAGIC is a genuine Group One performer which ran within a length of Takedown in the Winterbottom last summer before going to Melbourne to run an unlucky fourth, beaten under two lengths by Silent Sedition, in the William Reid. Forget last start in the bottomless TJ Smith at Randwick when his wheels span. Barrier 12 will allow him to swoop late as he loves to do.
5. BATTLE HERO won the same fixture last year which was held at Belmont. He ran very nicely first up at Northam for third and looks primed to defend his title from the good draw of four.
8. GREAT SHOT has been freshened up and comes back from 1600m to 1200m. Last year he won his only start on a soft track by over four lengths and actually drew away from the field in the Listed Belmont Guineas. The soft track looks to suit the natural on-pacer.
11. LITE'N IN MY VEINS showed on debut that he is a class animal by winning the Group Three Sir Ernest Lee-Steer Classic back in December 2015. That was on a soft track too, so fresh and on the rain-affected surface will not harm his chances.
SUGGESTED SELECTIONS: 3-5-8-11
SUGGESTED BET: 11. Lite’n In My Veins – EACH WAY
Race 8 - 4:54PM WESTERN RACEPIX ASCOT HORSE OF THE YEAR HANDICAP (1600 METRES) – FULL FIELD
3. TONKATUFF won impressively last start and in good time from the back of the field. He chased strongly and looks to be a bright prospect, moving forward, for trainer Brad Graham. The soft track record reads poorly but at least he does have experience on it.
4. TYCOON TARGET is likely to lead quite comfortably but could be a sitting shot once again for Tonkatuff. The Stelmach yard is firing so don't take lightly.
13. BY DECREE arguably would have won last start if the race was over 1600m. She gets that here which will suit. She won on the soft earlier in the season which should hold her in good stead.
SUGGESTED SELECTIONS: 3-4-13
SUGGESTED BET: 3. Tonkatuff – WIN & 4. Tycoon Target – WIN
HAVING A BET?
BEST BET: Race 5 – 6. War Ksar
BEST VALUE: Race 6 – 7. Black Dynamite
Click here for the latest TABtouch betting markets.
Please remember to always gamble responsibly.