Expected weather: Sunny 23°C
Expected track rating: GOOD4
Rail position: 12m
Race 1 - 12:42PM HEINEKEN 3 HANDICAP (1000 METRES) – FULL FIELD
3. BELLS TOWER has been running well all preparation and deserves a win. The form around Kaapander and Remember Berlin has held up and, now that he drops in class, this race beckons as a very winnable one.
1. LENIENCE is the class galloper of the field as advised by his allotted weight. His recent trial behind Classical Prince and Stocks was sound as he was ridden in a forward and positive manner by Brad Parnham. Kate Witten takes the reins on raceday and claims him down to 60kg. Witten rode a treble at Carnarvon on Saturday 13 May so she comes to the races in fantastic form. Also, it is worth noting that this will be the first time Lenience has ever raced at a level worse than Saturday grade.
2. HOPETOUN trialled sharply at Lark Hill on Monday 8 May when box-seating and running down the leading pair in the straight. Her first up record is excellent but has never raced over 1000m which is the only query when analysing her form.
4. ROMAN FIGHTER is another class-dropper and comes out of the same race as Bells Tower behind Remember Berlin. The gelding led on that occasion and just faded late after racing keenly in the early in the 1000m event. With William Pike on, similar tactics should be undertaken and he could prove hard to catch.
SUGGESTED SELECTIONS: 3-1-2-4
SUGGESTED BET: 3. Bells Tower – WIN
Race 2 - 1:17PM SALINGER HANDICAP (1000 METRES) – FULL FIELD
3. MEGADON led all of the way in a recent trial and held off the fast-finishing Bronze Idol ,which has drawn awkwardly in this same race. Patrick Carbery is likely to be positive from barrier six and should be one of the front-runners to catch. However, being a first starter, there are plenty of unknowns.
6. THE NICCONIAN is another first starter. The gelding is by Group One-winning sprinter Nicconi and out of black type-winning mare Twilight Spy. He jumped moderately in his recent trial but was then bustled to the front by Steven Parnham before leading the rest of the way and running away from rivals in the finish. The time was just ok but he should have taken improvement out of the run and should be close to the lead on settling, which will be advantageous.
10. MIZLECKI trialled on the same day as The Nicconian and clocked in about two lengths faster over 1000m. Mizlecki sat wide on that occasion and ran on strongly to win the trial. William Pike rides the seemingly talented filly but he might have to go back in the field which could see her just running on late. She will be running on, but watch for her when she draws a barrier.
15. FROSTY BAY is the third emergency but does have the advantage of race experience after running eighth behind Keeper Keen on Saturday 12 November. She was only beaten four lengths on that occasion and should have improved since. All of her trials have been outstanding and is unbeaten on Mondays (trial days).
SUGGESTED SELECTIONS: 3-6-10-15
SUGGESTED BET: 3. Megadon – WIN
Race 3 - 1:52PM QUINNS ROCK BOWLS CLUB MAIDEN (1400 METRES) – FULL FIELD
13. PERFECT DREAM was one of the only horses to make up ground last start behind Santiago Gal on a day when it was tough to run on. Barrier two will allow Pike to be close enough in running and get the run of the race. She looks hard to beat.
12. ALLUME LE FEU would be equal top hope with Perfect Dream in the race if she had drawn an inside barrier. Barrier 12 makes things tricky for Daniel Staeck but the filly by Discorsi definitely has a maiden win in her. Watch for her to be doing her best work late.
1. DIAMONDS FOR ALL stuck on well last start behind Prize Catch at Northam when $51 in betting. Barriers really do make a huge difference and this gelding has drawn three which will allow him to get a very soft run in transit. A top three chance.
5. VAGABOND BOY has been knocking on the door of a maiden win. Gets another chance here out to 1400m and should be running on.
SUGGESTED SELECTIONS: 13-12-1-5
SUGGESTED BET: 13. Perfect Dream – WIN
Race 4 - 2:27PM GET THE TABTOUCH MAIDEN (1400 METRES) – FULL FIELD
12. INIMITABLE comes into the maiden race off a one-month freshen up which should suit the daughter of Lonhro. Dan Staeck can position her in a midfield spot and ask her to accelerate in the straight. She is another who is not far away from maiden success.
14. MISS SAPPHIRE is a first starter by Patronize and out of Kenvain mare McMindy. She has trialled twice over 1450m leading into the race which suggests that fitness will not be an issue. Times in both trials were good and Joesph Azzopardi – who rides on raceday – will get every chance to get the mare into a forward position. One for the roughie punters!
3. IMPRESSIVE STAR had no luck first up on a day where it was hard to run on and make up ground. He also got stuck behind horses along the inside and didn’t get a real crack at his rivals in the straight. Out to 1400m with a wider draw should suit and allow him to get going late. A great each-way play.
1. OUTSTRETCH hit the line only fairly last start behind Everasready, at Northam, but getting out to 1400m here is the key. The 3kg claim of Fred W Kersley will also help the third-up son of Fath.
SUGGESTED SELECTIONS: 12-14-3-1
SUGGESTED BET: 3. Impressive Star – PLACE
Race 5 - 3:05PM OPENING DAY AT BELMONT - 27 MAY HANDICAP (1400 METRES) – FULL FIELD
1. HUMANITY receives the services of gun apprentice Aaron Mitchell. After slightly missing the kick last start when first up, expect the son of Al Maher to bounce out of the barriers and take up a prominent position in running just like last preparation when he won second up over an extended trip. He is the class runner of the field.
3. EVERASREADY made up steady ground last start behind Kimbo's Girl. The first up win was exceptional and there is no doubt that the gelding has more wins in him. Pike stays on which is a big tick but he will need luck from the barrier and hope that the race is run at a fast speed. A good place bet for even-money backers.
7. MR UNDERCOVER ran a bottler last start when third behind Top Of The Class and Karlakee Miss. The son of Star Witness got into a lovely position behind the speed from an inside draw and can do the same thing here from barrier one. He is a leading contender with those form lines. It is hard to believe that he is still a maiden.
4. RISING SEA has been gelded which is always hard for connections especially when considering they paid $100,000 for him as a yearling. The gelding may well be the making of him though as he showed enormous promise last preparation. That promise could come to realisation here after running swiftly in a trial recently over 950m at Lark Hill. Very much a live chance.
SUGGESTED SELECTIONS: 1-3-7-4
SUGGESTED BET: 3. Everasready – PLACE
Race 6 - 3:40PM EVENTS AT ASCOT HANDICAP (1400 METRES) – FULL FIELD
1. HINCHINBEEL was scratched at the barrier prior to his accepted race last start which was eventually won by Star Glitter. That was a much tougher Saturday race and he finds himself in this much easier Wednesday class three. Aaron Mitchell will hopefully take the son of Hinchinbrook to the front of the field and control the race from there as he usually does so well. Barrier one should aid the apprentice with finding the lead.
9. FIREMAN FREDDY comes back to 1400m after running an honest second last start at Albany over 1612m. Pike rides and will get the supreme run in transit from barrier two. Watch for the Justin Warwick stable to start firing as we make our way over to Belmont.
8. BLACK GRAPE was an impressive last start winner and will appreciate the rain that has been around Perth over the last few days leading up to the midweek meeting. Brad Parnham is likely to go back and ride for luck but the gelding has a devastating turn of speed which will see him flash home into a prominent position.
4. YOU'RE A RUM'IN has loads of ability but just doesn’t seem to show it at Ascot. On ability alone and in a weak race such as this, he should running into the money. The Wolfe camp is another which usually catches fire as we head towards winter racing at Belmont.
SUGGESTED SELECTIONS: 1-9-8-4
SUGGESTED BET: 1. Hinchinbeel – EACH WAY
Race 7 - 4:15PM AMELIA PARK HANDICAP (2200 METRES) – FULL FIELD
10. SAXOPHONIST wasn’t the worst last start when running on into ninth from near last behind Little Miss Mak. Pike has another go on the gelding and should get a much easier run from barrier two, unlike last start when jumping from barrier 15. Out to 2200m third up should suit the Fred Kersley-trained runner.
1. HOT BRESA ran on powerfully from last behind Little Miss Mak. Patrick Carbery can take up a midfield position from barrier nine and he should be flying home late again. Like a few others in the race, there is a slight question mark on him out to 2200m but he should handle it on what we saw last start.
2. SCANDIUM was caught wide last start in the same race as Saxophonist and Hot Bresa. Senior rider Troy Turner takes the ride from apprentice Fiona Bell and should be able to get the gelding into a midfield running line position from the central draw.
3. JACKPOT PRINCE is out of a Galileo mare so staying the 2200m should not be a problem. In fact, the further the better and he is prepared by a couple of the best staying trainers in the state..
SUGGESTED SELECTIONS: 10-1-2-3
SUGGESTED BET: 10. Saxophonist – PLACE
Race 8 - 4:55PM ITALIAN DAY AT ASCOT THIS SATURDAY HANDICAP (1800 METRES) – FULL FIELD
1. TUCKY'S LAD is the big class dropper after only being beaten four lengths last start in 78+ grade. Despite the 59.5kg he has to carry, the son of Oratorio looks hard to beat. His dam is by Melbourne Cup winner Jeune so getting out to 1800m should pose no problems.
2. BLACK FREDA only won a Narrogin class two a couple of starts ago but then came to town and ran a credible fifth (beaten two lengths) behind Push To Pass in a 66+ over 1800m. The class drop suits this galloper he can cause a scare to the favourites.
8. LITTLE MISS MAK won last start when second up and got the run of the race in the class one affair. This time apprentice Fred W Kersley rides and the mare only has to carry 52kg. She should be right there in the finish and looks to be heading in the right direction this campaign.
4. BALMONTGOMERY ran second last start behind Little Miss Mak when allowed to lead by Joseph Azzopardi. That was a ride full of nous but this time Kate Witten will ride and take off 3kg. With the claimer going on, the plan could be to lead again and try to run away from them in the straight. If they adopt those tactics, he will be a top four chance.
SUGGESTED SELECTIONS: 1-2-8-4
SUGGESTED BET: 4. Balmontgomery – PLACE
HAVING A BET?
BEST BET: Race 3 – 13. Perfect Dream
BEST VALUE: Race 6 – 1. Hinchinbeel
Click here for the latest TABtouch betting markets.
Please remember to always gamble responsibly.